Saturday, September 16, 2006

Mary J


Ok, first off....I know this portrait does not look exactly like her, but please keep in mind....that I painted this on a card no bigger than 2.5" by 3.5". Yes, that is right.....someone in a drawing group told me about artist trading cards.....and I guess you have to create tiny works of art. I have never painted a portrait this small, and it does make it difficult to get the details right.
Also, this is my first time using the gouache paints. I liked the watercolors that much, that I wanted to try gouache as well.....which I guess it supposed to somewhat like the watercolors....only thing is, they seem to dry a bit faster. I was not used to that, but I will adapt in time I guess.
Anyway, this was my first ATC ( artist trading card ) that I completed. I think it turned out ok for being so small, and being the first one I painted.

Fae

8 Comments:

At 8:30 PM, Blogger Nicolette said...

okay, this is just awesome! What a beautiful atc....and an amazing first attempt!

 
At 8:50 PM, Blogger faeorain said...

thanks nicolette

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger Rachel Murphree said...

I think this is great! and I could tell right away it was she... I have a hard time working that small too...well done!

 
At 11:04 PM, Blogger Irene said...

Really great. It is hard to tell it is done on such a small scale.

 
At 11:59 PM, Blogger Robyn said...

Oh! you poor, poor thing. You have been bitten by the ATC bug too. You know that there is no turning back, now, don't you! I thought that I would just try one, too, but you can't stop at one. You just dream of them all of the time.

BTW, this one is very good.

 
At 4:46 AM, Blogger Lin said...

AWESOME!! The delicate lines, shadings and values are incredibly rich!! GORGEOUS!

 
At 9:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! That's great. Is everyone doing hand painted cards? That's very time consuming.

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger faeorain said...

Thanks everyone! Yes Robyn, I think it may be hard for me to turn back now....I already made another one! lol.....and Melissa, I think some handpaint them...a lot of people who want to trade the cards like for them to be original and handmade, and most people seem to make collages...but I wanted to just do paintings. It is a bit different for me, and you do have to straing the eyes a bit at times in order to get the details. thanks again,

fae

 

Post a Comment

<< Home